Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Does Hair Equal Culture? A Response to "Black Denial" in the Dominican Republic

On top of being one of the more "preferred" hairstyles of women, straight hair has also been tagged as an Eurocentric value that has been imposed on black women in and outside of the United States. It is true, many African American women have given up their coarse curls for smoother, straighter hair; however, claiming that the reason for the stylistic change is due solely on assimilation is a viewpoint that I cannot agree with. In an article from the Miami Herald entitled "Black Denial", the author Frances Robles suggesting that this practice of straightening hair was a form of denial of African heritage. In one instance, he states "And to many [...] to look pretty is to look less black". I refuse to believe that the denial of an entire culture could be denied single-handedly through the applying of relaxers, chemicals or weaves to one's hair, and I am actually astonished that someone would believe that this is the case. There were some truths in Robles article that pointed put the wounds that still continue linger in the hearts of those who suffered under colonial rule from both the Europeans and the Spaniards. It is an unfortunate fact that some people refuse to identify with being black, and instead choose other "dark-skinned" races such as Native Indians to relate to out of social anxiety and grief.



Works Cited:

Robles, Frances. "Dominican Republic." MiamiHerald.com. Web. 21 Apr. 2012. <http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html>.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maya,

    I totally agree with your blog. The practice of straightening hair is not a denial of blackness, but an easier way for us to manage our texture. The argument that Robles makes in the article is far more than extreme. Though I think your article is very insightful, I wanted to let you know that you have forgotten to cite your sources, which you may lose points on. Otherwise, Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has recently become a very controversial topic in the black community because of the new fad of African American girls going back to their roots and "going natural". Those opposed to putting relaxers in their hair claim they are doing it to assimilate to the European style and way of thinking. However, those pro "creamy crack" or relaxer do not see it that way. I agree with both you and Aubrey that straightening ones hair is not African Americans way of denying their roots at all.

    ReplyDelete